If you are trying to lose weight but have been unsuccessful so far, check to see if you are making any of these common mistakes.
1. Eating Too Often – it is a commonly held belief that eating multiple small meals each day is a good way to lose weight. But this only works if the meals are SMALL! If each of these so called ‘small meals’ start to creep up in calories and start to get larger you are never going to lose any weight. I suggest eating less meals per day. This way you have more chance of having a satisfying meal and less opportunities to over do it.
2. Not Doing Resistance Exercise – many people still think ‘cardio’ type workouts will burn more fat. This is incorrect as research has shown that higher intensity intervals will burn more fat. Also, higher intensity workouts and resistance training workouts build and maintain muscles, which keeps your metabolism rolling along. Traditional ‘Cardio’ type workouts can’t build muscle and will not burn as many calories as higher intensity intervals. A circuit workout of whole body exercises will get your heart rate up, and works all the muscles of your body is the most efficient way to burn fat and build and tone muscles.
3. Snacking – Typical ‘snack’ foods can have way more calories than you think. Before you know it you can be consuming more calories in a ‘snack’ than in one of your meals.
4. Not Eating Enough Fruits and Vegetables – Fruits and Veggies take up lots of space in your stomach and make you feel full without putting in too many calories. Eating lots of fruits and veggies can ensure that you will feel full without putting in too many calories.
5. Trying To Do It Alone – Research is indicating that the people you socialize with will have an enormous impact on you reaching your fitness and nutrition goals. Social support is probably the single most important factor to staying on a good workout and nutrition plan. Try to recruit a good workout partner or two to stay on track with your workouts. Also be aware of the friends and family who seem to always sabotage your nutrition habits. Ask them to politely support you and not pressure you to break your plan.
These are the most common problems that get in the way of weight loss success. When a potential client asks me how to lose weight, the first thing I do is check to see how many of these mistakes they are making. I’d say nine times out of ten they are making all of them, and they don’t even realize it! Taking action on each one will put you on the right path to lasting weight loss.